Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween

Living in the Bible belt with a southern church around every corner, Halloween can be iffy. They think it's Satanic or something. Back when I was a kid, most kids here weren't allowed to trick or treat, so the churches invented an "orange" party so that they wouldn't feel so left out and would have something to do while their peers were having fun. This now includes going to a church parking lot and getting a tootsie roll out of the back of someone's car trunk, which most people do now. I was a rebel this year, I said, NO we are going to do good old fashioned trick or treating. I am not going to fight traffic, worry about hitting a kid and do it the right way. It was great! Honestly, we saw maybe 2 or 3 other kids, but the boys had fun, I didn't have to drive in the dark and the old people just light up when they see a costumed kid at their door. But..........I really need to teach my kids some cooth. I don't know where they get it from, but they are loud when they speak. I was embarrassed when a few feet from someone's door they would say, loudly:

--That person was smoking!!
--Why do so many old people live around us!!
--Yay, I got M&M's!!
--Their candy sucks
--I don't want to go to that house, I can tell they don't have good candy..(the people were sitting on their porch 4 feet from us)

But alas, the night was fun and I made sure that they didn't complain until after we got home!

No comments: